Island Lake Lodge has been called one of the most unique and authentic places to stay in Canada by National Geographic Traveler Magazine. With over 30 years of operations, Island Lake has gained a reputation for providing life changing experiences for both guests and staff alike. From a unique culinary program, to cat-skiing, biking, hiking, full spa and dedicated staff, Island Lake is a gem of the Canadian Rockies.
Now hiring for Winter!
At Island Lake Catskiing you will be working at the top of the list in must ski destinations. Set in one of the most unique and authentic lodges in Canada with an unparalleled work environment. Working at Island Lake will provide you with the opportunity to go catskiing, enjoy daily Snow Cat rides, complimentary staff meals and deals on merchandise - all while being surrounded by 7,000 acres of private bowls, valleys and gladed forests. Our Winter season runs from December till early April with the opportunity for continued employment in our Summer season, which is awesome too!
If you are looking for a great work adventure this Winter come join our team:
- Dishwasher/ Kitchen Hand Ever wash dishes? Why not do it in a spectacular setting working with one of the top culinary teams in the Region!
- Housekeeper Do you love to clean? Well you are in luck, we will use your talents to scrub, sweep and fold Island Lake into a brighter, cleaner world.
We are looking for someone with experience in tinkering with engines and would love to help with the maintenance of our snow cats, snowmobiles, power systems, shop and lodge equipment.
This is a full time position for our winter season October until April with the opportunity to become a Permanent placement.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the maintenance of: Snow Cats, Snowmobiles, power systems (hydro electric and generator) plus various shop and lodge equipment.
- Responsible for limiting down time of Snow Cats and sleds.
- Responsible for storage of cats (cleaned) and snowmobiles at the end of season.
- Responsible for update details on existing equipment as necessary to ensure all information is current. Cats, vehicles, tires, sleds.
- Responsible for Record Keeping of repairs and seasonal services.
- Responsible for communicating with road builders and drivers to remediate concerns they have with cats and provide repairs as required. Review log sheets, to ensure communication and proper records of performed work.
- Responsible for supplies: ensure adequate spare parts in stock for snow cats, and sleds.
- Shares knowledge and helps with building maintenance and utilities as required
- Cooperate with other departments, to assist with their needs as identified by Maintenance Manager. Such as snow removal, grocery orders, movement of freight. Delivery and pick up from terrain as may be required by guides.
- Participate in company projects. Informed and consulted.
- Participate in staff training, ERP training, and any other training set forth by Island Lake.
- Will complete summer service of snowcats and snowmobiles prior to start of winter season.
- Work as part of the whole Island Lake team, communicating and cooperating with all departments across the company.
Reservations and Sales Manager (contract)
As the Reservations and Sales Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the department while working closely with the CEO and Management Team at Island Lake. This is an engaging role in a fast paced, collaborative and fun environment working with a great team of people. The successful candidate will need to have Reservations/Sales and Management experience, share a love of the mountains and have a drive to create amazing experience for our cat skiing, hotel and wedding guests.
- Oversee and supervise our guest reservations while maintaining our reservation software system and database.
- Responsible for assuring accuracy of all reservations. This would include relevant comments and instructions, proper application of charges and credits, accurate contact information, etc.
- Oversee daily cash-out functions carried out by reservation staff and lodge staff and ensure accuracy.
- Build seasonal rates / packages and products within the reservation system
- Set goals and targets for department
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures with regards to taking reservations, booking, cancellations, weddings and events.
- Provide direction and training to the reservations and sales staff for our reservation system, phone system and interdepartmental communications.
- Oversee annual performance reviews of reservation and sales staff.
- Initiate a team approach to dealing with any unusual and difficult client demands.
- Oversee timely receipt of deposits and final payments.
- Work with accounting, lodge and marketing teams to ensure that reporting from the reservation system is accurate, timely, and relevant.
- Collaborate with the Lodge Manager on Maestro system updates and changes.
- Oversee in the creation and maintenance of wedding packages and online listings of Island Lakes Wedding program.
- Supervise the wedding and events coordinator in creating and maintaining guest information and confirmation packages.
- Work with the marketing department to ensure a consistent brand image is portrayed through all communications and activities.
- Develop and oversee programs for guest transportation and accommodations for arrival/departure.
- Participate in manager meetings, company planning etc.
- As part of the office team, assume any day-to-day general office responsibilities.
- Ensure the health and safety of reservations and sales staff with attention to ergonomics, lifting, tips and falls, repetitive stress, handling difficult guest interactions.
We are looking for a passionate, creative and skilled individual to lead our culinary program and deliver the highest quality culinary experience to our guests. The chosen candidate will have a wealth of culinary experience and skill, a desire to focus on the development of our team and excellent interpersonal and management skills.
This position oversees all aspects of the daily operation, functionality, and long-term direction of the restaurants. Specifically, the Executive Chef is responsible for the development and oversight of the overall strategic vision of the culinary program, including menu design, profitable financial management, effective leadership, excellent customer service skills and supervision of department requirements and standards. The Executive Chef will further establish and grow Island Lake’s culinary reputation and dining experience to advance its restaurants towards being recognized as two of the best restaurants in Canada.
Key Elements of the Job
- Create extraordinary culinary experiences for our guests.
- Provide leadership of the Culinary Program by establishing plans of character, integrity, and quality which align with our guests needs and expectations and result in the long-range continued growth and profitability.
- This position oversees all aspects of the Food and Beverage program including menu design, ordering, inventory control, costing, scheduling, service quality, financial management and the selection, training, development, and evaluation of employees and supervisors in both the front and back of house of the Food and Beverage department.
- Coordinate long-range strategic planning for culinary program which aligns with the company’s direction.
- Control labor and operating expenses through effective planning, budgeting, purchasing decisions, policy making, and inventory control while focusing on creative cost control and revenue generation solutions to maximize profit in the department.
- Plan and develop menus for the lodge considering factors such as experience, product availability, food and service cost, market conditions and business volume.
- Assign prices for daily menus that result in net profit; participate in making decisions regarding printing, layout, posting, and distribution of menus while ensuring the correct preparation and presentation of a consistent level for all food items prepared through production and demonstration.
- Ensure sanitation standards set by Island Lake and government regulations are met and exceeded.
- Establish control systems which will assure quality and consistency. By setting proper purchasing specifications, reviewing operating criteria and developing an awareness of the importance of food preparation and quality.
- Communicate with employees and managers to ensure operational needs are met. Also attend regular operational meetings to ensure effective coordination and cooperation between departments.
- Build an open and trusting environment where everyone's opinion is shared and valued.
- Lead with inspiration.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- At least 10 years of progressive leadership in multi-faceted culinary environment
- Red Seal Certification or international equivalent considered an asset
- Experienced leader able to inspire, delegate, set expectation and supervise the culinary and service teams to work collaboratively in designing world class menus and exceptional culinary and dining experiences.
- Previous experience with creating schedules, labor costing, employee performance management required.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities required.
- Must be able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment. With a focus on guest needs, remaining calm and courteous at all times. Ability to use tact and diplomacy to resolve any conflicts.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Must have experience with report writing, software and point of sales programs
- Knowledge of financial statements and budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication between staff and leadership.
- Degree or diploma in hotel and restaurant management considered an asset.
- Knowledge of International Wine Education Guild (IWEG) or Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) levels 1,2 or 3 or Sommelier designation considered an asset.
- Events experience an asset. The Executive Chef will work closely with Wedding Coordinator in the lead up to and execution of weddings and events.
- Physical Requirement- Constant standing and walking throughout shift. Occasional environmental exposures to cold, heat, and water. Must be able to lift and carry 35lbs to 50lbs.
- Food Safe Certificate, Serving it Right Certificate
- BC Driver’s License
Why work at Island Lake Lodge?
- 20% Staff discounts on food, drinks, and merchandise
- Product deals and discounts from our amazing partners
- Extended Health Benefits package available to all permanent employees
- Health spending account for seasonal employees for: paramedical expenses, dentist, eyeglasses etc.
- Complimentary staff meals
- Opportunity to go Catskiing